Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another project - Philco Tropic 42-788

Well, you can see in the photos above how bad the insulation is on some of the remaining original wires.

For safety and reliability, the radio simply cannot be left with wires that have insulation in such poor condition. This is why they are being replaced, one by one. It's one of those things that just has to be done.

I feel like I am finally making some progress. Perhaps by this weekend, I'll be ready to try to remove the electrolytics for restuffing. I'm going to continue to replace all of the wires, installing new resistors and caps as I go. Then I'll remove and restuff the electrolytics and reinstall those. Then I will rewire the IF cans and reinstall them. After that I will reinstall the audio output transformer and attach a new AC cord. The last job will be to hook up new wires, along with resleeving a few wires that run under the band switch where they are inaccessible, for all of the pilot lamps. I'll also have to reattach both dial cords. Oh yes, and make another rubber coupling for the spread band tuning.

In other words, a lot of work remains to be done to this set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another project - Philco Tropic 42-788 - by Ron Ramirez - 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM