Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

So where should I start.... Philco 38-116

Yes, great find, good price, no, not the best first project for a novice but then maybe you are not a novice. For someone green behind the ears it might be a bit intimidating, and even for someone more experienced who never tackled a big radio before it sure does look imposing.
The solution is as always, eat an elephant a bite at a time, do not try to imagine the whole project's scope, just start and keep going. It is not a job, there are no deadlines, might as well make it a learning thing and enjoy the ride.

Unless there is someone at your household to object to a big wooden ugly thing, I recommend starting with the chassis, as when you finish it and it sings, you will have a significant endorphine boost when it happens. Then you can tackle the cabinet knowing for sure it has a good radio to go in it.

And there are more than one person here, self included, who restored 37-116 and. 38-116 (other than cabinets they are largely the same) so you will have "mony councels sweet and mony lengthened sage advices" Icon_lol

Cheers, good luck and welcome.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So where should I start.... Philco 38-116 - by morzh - 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM