Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

So where should I start.... Philco 38-116

So I bought several books and am trying to follow one called Antique Radio Repair by Alfred Corbin, since it seems to be the most thorough from a troubleshooting stand point and ease of understanding. But on here and every other forum there seems to be two ways of going about this, 1) just slowly test every individual thing, replacing a bunch of tubes and capacitors slowly working your way replacing most things or 2) get it running and follow sort of standard troubleshooting to get it running correctly. The book I am reading said in big bold letters, Do Not Replace All the Capacitors. But elsewhere I hear, first thing to do is replace all the capacitors. Very confusing. I tried to buy a complete tube tester on ebay but after it got to $80 that was out of my budget, since I have no idea if I will do this again and I don't think I paid that much for the whole radio, so I got a cheaper one for $15.

How do you do number 3, test the power transformer?

Thanks Jerry for the info on the speakers, I was able to figure that out from a video and also saw how a guy replaced the rubber damper straps that go on the back, mine are still there but the seem to be melted and drooping so I don't know if they work properly? Are they absolutely necessary to have a working radio?

Messages In This Thread
RE: So where should I start.... Philco 38-116 - by louxwe - 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM