Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

So where should I start.... Philco 38-116

It is nice to check the "iron" first. The power transformer can be checked easily by unplugging the radio first and pulling the rectifier off the top of the power transformer.
1. With your meter attached one lead to each of the A/C plug and set for a low resistance scale, turn on the radio. On should show low resistance, off should show open. You have checked the primary of the transformer
2. Place one meter probe in one of the small pins of the rectifier socket on the top of the power transformer and connect the other to ground. Measure the resistance. Do the same for the other small pin to ground. They should read about the same. You have checked the HV winding of the transformer!
3. Place your probes on the two large pins, one on each. Should measure low resistance. You have checked the 5V heater winding on the transformer!
You may need to wiggle the probes to get a good reading.

As for cap replacement and yes it is necessary many people handle it differently. I would say first the e-caps and check the radio for performance, voltages and response on your dim bulb. Then a few wax caps at a time and a recheck. If you are careful and move slowly to assure you don't mess up the wiring, go ahead and do all of them. Everyone works differently.

Good luck and keep in touch with the Phorum for answering questions along the journey.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So where should I start.... Philco 38-116 - by jerryhawthorne - 03-06-2015, 12:18 AM