Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380 Issues

Is there a reason you're suspecting the rectifier tube other than that you'd replaced it once before? It's better to do some tests before concluding it is bad, but maybe you have already.

If you don't get any sound out of the radio at all, I'd check B+ voltage before concluding the rectifier is bad. If no voltage or really low voltage, check the power transformer windings with an ohm meter. They should be somewhere near the 260 and 275 ohms on the schematic. Check the output transformer. I've heard they're a weak point because of the heat under the chassis.

Also make sure the filament voltage is good.

If power is the problem, one possibility might be the candohm bias resistor assembly. I've never had one go bad, but they have bad reputations. I've bought a couple of Philcos where they've been replaced by a previous owner.

If you get sound, (hiss, hum, etc.) but no signal, then still check B+ and tube plate voltages. If they are anywhere near correct, then start working backwards from the output stage to help localize the trouble. The 41 tube plate voltages can be 20 or 30 volts low and the radio will still play.

I have only one radio with the 6X5 rectifier, a 42-355. I play it most days with no problem. but that's only one data point.

Maybe this is just too obvious, but make sure the speaker plug is good and tight.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
42-380 Issues - by davidff - 04-17-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: 42-380 Issues - by morzh - 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: 42-380 Issues - by Raleigh - 04-21-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: 42-380 Issues - by Arran - 04-22-2015, 02:47 AM