Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another question about a 39-6 Philco

Here you go.  I can email you a slightly higher resolution one if you want.

This was a pretty easy chassis to work on.  Not cramped, and not too many parts.  A few things on my refurbs you may wonder about.

I always parallel/series resistors to exactly hit odd ball values.  I know most modern stock values will work fine.  I'm just anal that way.

I always overrate my CT bias resistors.  Which is why I have a 3.75W and 2W resistors in place of the 1/2W rated ones.  These resistors usually have a fair amout of current through them.  But that varies by radio design.  Again, just an anal thing.

I replace all resistors, even those in spec.  Usually 25-50% are already drifted high.  And its a matter of time before the rest drift high.  I only want to refurb a chassis once, so they all get replaced.

I pretty much always replace micas.  This is personal choice and hotly debated.  My stance is that too many people have started to see them fail, and again -  I only want to refurb a chassis once.

I often use a 1 lug terminal strip to attach the "foot" to the old lytic cans.  The top lug is not connected, so it gives you a nice handy tie point pretty close to the original.

Messages In This Thread
Another question about a 39-6 Philco - by Tom72 - 05-19-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Another question about a 39-6 Philco - by Nick3092 - 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM