Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hallicrafters S-40A

You bet exray!, the "real" vintage guitar/amps guitar-guys ( millionaires types recording artists) that use vintage caps in low-voltage ( restoration only) applications to restore their vintage instruments to orig tonal-qualitys, for "recording purposes only via direct shielded- instrument cables from vintage guitars to vintage amps", sure know better than to rely on the same "theory" while using wireless on their "live performances"!! Just ask Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top!Heck, perhaps he could also help "splain" to D.H. the "why-for-reasoning" , that vintage-leaky-caps can be of use to others that "create tone" via vintage musical-instruments ( low voltage applications only) "on purpose", as opposed to those that just "restore & listen" to old tube radios only? Since there were literally millions of vintage radios produced in the 40s-50s era that used the same wax & bb caps that Leo Fender & G Gruen at the Gibson factories used in their guitars & amps during the same time period,only us radio techs find them and most of the origs "leaky caps" are simply tossed these days from vintage radio restorers. To most us vintage radio restorers, the people that appreciate orig-leaky wax- & bb caps are called "audiofools"! In low-voltage applications such as tone-controls, the real-vintage "tone" is found in these vintage-real -leaky caps!! On purpose, by audiofools that know how to use them again!!Are these folks reall "fools"? Im not really sure! As an aside to this "theory" of use of vintage leaky caps, is to do the A-B "listen test"! Listen to a ZZ Top recording thru your vintage re-capped Philco Radios!! Best of both worlds indeed from the ZZ ( select) analog & digital combo rec-studios back thru your vintage Philco spkrs!! You can bet ZZs guitarist used "orig vintage caps" in ALL his restored & custom built guitars & amps, period!! I know the old "luthiers" & guitar techs well from the Stevie Ray Vaughans orig guitar-techs days as well as the others! These guys know-where to use orig "leaky 1940s era" orig caps,& why the origs were missing in vintage instruments over the yrs, whats origs ufs/voltage ratings are missing, and how to replace them only with orig caps produced in the same yrs in vintage instruments! Therefore, as I stated before here and got a radio-tech needing a "splaination", feel free to save all your vintage wax & bb caps you replace in vintage radios and post them on ebay if you wish. There are buyers out there that know what to use-em for indeed!... and it wont be re-using them in a vintage radio restoration at all! I just recently found a perfect orig ( corrected)"tone-match" by replacing a hackers job using a older modern-type sealed orange-drop on a tone control in 59 Gibson reverb-rocket guitar amp. The orig owner still plays thru the amp, and noticed it "lost orig tone" back in the early 70s when he had the amp serviced. Someone had replaced the tone controls c.t. orig wax cap with a orange-drop, & "tone" was changed forever until we "subbed" in one of my orig vintage wax caps from the 40s I had from a old radio. When my customer played thru his amp again, the old wax cap restored his orig tone! I hate to say "dont ask me why" again?.. but perhaps another audiofool? I think not! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
Hallicrafters S-40A - by Texasrocker - 02-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by exray - 02-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Texasrocker - 02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by exray - 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Arran - 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Texasrocker - 02-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Doug Houston - 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Texasrocker - 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by exray - 02-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by Texasrocker - 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Re: Hallicrafters S-40A - by AI2V - 02-27-2009, 04:00 PM