Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Museum Quality Philco Console 37-690 Radio

Hi guys! I just had a discussion with a very good buyer of mine to whom I offered my gorgeous 37-690 to for $3,400.00l. That is the lowest I have ever offered it for. Well, seems like he wants to buy by price since he found another 37-690 that needs total restoration electronically, new repro grille cloth, and total refinishing. It will probably cost him about 2,500.00. It looks like he'd rather go that route than take one with an original finish and top flight electronics. My argument is this: Don't most of us here think that a finish which is like factory, maybe better since it has been waxed shined and buffed for many years before I got it. Also, the matching veneer panels on the front of mine are far superior to what he has to work with. I could go maybe a hundred lower and not have to deal with ebay and it's commissions and crazies but that's about all I'd want to lose. What do you feel?

Also I have some GREAT news! For the first time ever I lucked out for the upcoming Kutztown Radio Meet which starts with the dealers setting up on Thursday Sept. 17th and ends on Saturday Sept. 19th. In between there is an auction which promises to be wonderful since there is a big load of radios and associated equipment from a private estate. My good fortune is that I have NEVER had a booth in the MAIN PAVILLION, in the very center of it, and on the outside lane with electricity and three tables. I have already started "pulling" sets of quality and sets which will serve as bread and butter and am very excited. Also a very nice man is "giving" me on consignment a wonderful RCA 6HC-6 Orrthophonic Phono/Radio which is especially interesting since it is known as a "room divider" set with a cloth grille-like back so it can be placed just about anywhere. It also comes with a large extension speaker which has a wood back and must be placed against a wall. He has another neat set which is a  Philco consolete from about 1950. The number he gave me is 50-1721 but  I think that is the wrong number since it applies to  some thirties radios. I wanted your opinion on whether or  not to jam  this  in my van too since it must be worth the space it will fill. He  wants only 100 for it and i know the radio sounds great and has nice speakers but the  green standard turntable with cobra like arm is untested.  I will include a photo.

Now, Ron, before I forget, if you are going to this Meet PLEASE look me up this time and should I be out buying (not as likely since my current interest of getting hi-fi vintage gear has taken over the radio madness!) DO look me up so we can finally meet. Okay?

And now back to getting sets ready and good luck to me!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Museum Quality Philco Console 38-690 Radio - by Sam samuelian - 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM