Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1941 Philco phono jack and plug?

At this time, Philco (and others) made a series of turntables that transmitted over an AM frequency to a radio, so a radio owner wouldn't need to buy a complete phonograph system or modify the radio with a phono input. The phono label on the push-button was to use in case the owner had such a wireless turntable.

If you install a phono input on your radio it wouldn't be factory, but it would certainly be consistent with what many radio owners did in 1941. I'm sure your daughter would enjoy it with her iPod or whatever she has.

Some Philcos had labels in the cabinet that announced that the radio was "TV Ready" or something like that. That was in case the owner had a TV that would broadcast the sound to a nearby radio. I don't think Philco made such a TV in 1941, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

[Edited to add:] My 41-280 has a push-button label that says "Tele-vision" in tiny letters. I left it in place for the novelty. I don't know why the original owner left it there. Maybe he had a TV with wireless sound. I wonder if the phono and television push-button labels were put in at the factory for the owner to change them if the wanted.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
1941 Philco phono jack and plug? - by ccomer1955 - 09-19-2015, 02:31 PM
RE: 1941 Philco phono jack and plug? - by Raleigh - 09-19-2015, 10:18 PM
RE: 1941 Philco phono jack and plug? - by Raleigh - 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: 1941 Philco phono jack and plug? - by Raleigh - 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM