Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1935 model 59-C

Some of you probably saw this set on eBay recently, listed as a model 54-C....the one with the beautifully intact photo finish cabinet. Well...and apologies to anyone I may have bid against...I am now the proud owner. Much to my surprise, it was not the 5 tube 54-C, but the 4 tube model 58-C. Both use the same cabinet, from what I can see.

My question concerns the OSC coil

Not sure if that’s factory correct, but I’m attaching a pic of the underside of the chassis, and then a close up looking up into the can housing the coil. The outer winding is with a green coated wire. I’m wondering if someone attempted to rewind that coil at some point or if in fact it came that way from the factory? In my limited experience with sets of this era (model 84 & model 89) the wire they used for windings seemed to be copper, and then the whole coil coated with wax. That green colored wire almost looks too new.

This is what I found in the preliminary check over. The antenna coil seems to be working, inasmuch as  there is a response when touching the antenna clip (and my long antenna wire attached to it) the signal gets stronger. I'm getting a signal through to the grid caps of both of the 77 tubes as well. Audio output is there. Volume changes as it should with the control, but I'm not able to receive any semblance of a station.

This model doesn't appear to have the band switch on the left side of the back of the chassis either, to switch from broadcast to police band. I suspect only the 5 tube model 54-C used that. What does the little trimmer control just below and to the left of the opening for the power cord that protrudes from the chassis? It’s hex shaped with a screw slot on the end. Adjusting it does improve the volume, and audio output, but nothing in the way of receiving a station.

Has anyone had any experience with the OSC coils on these little "cigar box" sets, and if so, did anyone save their notes as far as which winding is primary & secondary, number of turns for each, wire gauge, etc.?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
1935 model 59-C - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM
RE: 1934 model 58-C - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-01-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: 1934 model 58-C - by Ron Ramirez - 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: 1934 model 58-C - by Ron Ramirez - 11-02-2014, 08:11 AM
RE: 1934 model 58-C - by Radioroslyn - 11-02-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: 1934 model 58-C - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-02-2014, 12:54 PM
RE: 1934 model 59-C - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-02-2014, 01:02 PM