Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertones Saved From the Burn Pile

I was over at my late friend's place last week and was shocked to see his dad hauling out two large speakers and getting read to through them onto the burn pile. I recognized them as the only matching pair of Silvertone speakers that Tim had for the three Silvertone stereo tuner/amp units that he owned. He was going to burn the whole lot as he was cleaning up the workshop and outbuildings, so I claimed them all. I scavenged up enough 12AX7 and 6BQ5 tubes to get one unit working again once I repaired a speaker cord. In the picture the top one is a parts unit, the center unit and speakers I owned for a short while until the AM section died, and the bottom unit is the fully working unit that Tim used to play with. Even the eye tube works on it. I have yet to try the middle unit and the top unit looks like the transformer might be cooked. Might have enough to make one more good tuner/amp unit and maybe try to find another pair of working speakers. I can't recall the model numbers right now, but these things are pretty beefy on sound.

On a side note: Things are not going so well up at my friend's old place. His dad was good about the stuff in the house, but is starting to take on a scorched earth sort to tactic for the radios and items in the outbuildings. I just rescued another 1950's Silvertone console from the fire this week. Don't even get me started on the blunder a couple other helpers made. Icon_sad

No matter where you go, there you are.

Messages In This Thread
Silvertones Saved From the Burn Pile - by Jayce - 11-06-2014, 09:39 PM