Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quality of early Philco televisions.

Just my 2cents, but I just restored 2 1952 models in the last year. 52-1802 and 52-2158. One has original CRT, one has basically a NOS CRT. Both have the split chassis design ( or Duplex chassis as Philco marketing actually referred to the design). These are solid performers and really pretty easy to get running again. The 2158 sat in a barn for 30 years, but luckily the Rodney's had not got after. I watch both sets probably a couple of hours every 2 weeks. They perform as well as anything I have restored, and would say near the top in performance of what's in my restored collection. Only problem with this design for was the difficulty on the bench. The way the chassis(s) is designed, it's challenge to power up outside of the cabinet. I think techs back in the day had cable setups to connect the setup out side of the cabinets for working under chassis under power and alignment. I never could figure out what I would consider a safe way to do this, but I know others guys have created jigs for the purpose. I guess I just wastn't that motivated. Regardless, my opinion, they are great performers and compare to the quality of radios they produced at the time.

Messages In This Thread
Quality of early Philco televisions. - by Jayce - 11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
RE: Quality of early Philco televisions. - by ScottTV1962 - 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM