Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Next project - Philco Tropic 41-758EZ

I'm about to start on another one.

This 41-758EZ chassis is similar to the Canadian Philco 39 (41-722), but has eight tubes instead of six, including push-pull 42E outputs. It is also a three band radio.

This is the only Philco I am aware of that has a chrome grille! I'll post a photo when this set is done. Right now, it needs grille cloth. I have some that I have been saving for this set, and it will be installed in the next few days.

You can read more about the 41-758, and see a (poor quality) illustration, here. Scroll down the page to Models 41-745T, 41-758T, 41-759T.

The cabinet is sort of "on the borderline" in that, in one way, ot sort of looks halfway decent; yet in another way, it has several flaws including a missing large chip of veneer on top and some other finish issues. I haven't yet decided whether or not this one will be refinished; if I decide to do that, it won't happen until next spring at the earliest.

Meanwhile, I shall proceed with chassis restoration.

If you want to follow along, you can see a 41-758EZ schematic here (766 KB).

So far, all I have done is pull everything out of the cabinet, and taken notes on where the paper capacitors connect under the chassis as well as wiring for the audio output transformer. The plan is to remove those components, restuff the paper caps, replace the wiring and all resistors, then install the restuffed caps and finally, reinstall the audio output transformer. The electrolytic cans will also be rebuilt, and a new power cord attached. I will also have to restring the dial cord as the cord on this one is broken.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread