Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rescuing a Philco... but which one? [With many pictures!]

Hey there!

I recently acquired a G1807S from my wife's grandmother, who was the original owner. I have the companion speaker/amp as well. The cabinets are absolutely perfect - nana was a child of the depression, so big-ticket items were well taken care of in her house. These were never stashed in the attic or basement, and I'd wager to say they'd been Pledge'd once a week since 1959.

I don't have any pictures at the current time and I haven't even unscrewed the back off of either unit ... so here are some questions fueled by ignorance (and excitement over finding a post about the same unit):

1. The "Stereo Tape" selection on the main unit ... where would you plug it in? There's a single RCA labelled "Tape" on the back, but it's only one RCA, so that can't be it ... right? I think what I've read in this thread answers that question. Drag.

2. The "main" unit seems to have two power cords. One is mounted up high on the unit, near the two RCA-type connectors pictured above. There looks to be another power cord that has had it's plug cut off. It's coming out of the back of the unit, out of a vent. I thought at first that it was an antenna, but there are antenna screws and an instruction sheet pasted next to them on the back panel. So I'm back to thinking something got sheared off once upon a time ... but that doesn't fit with nana's upkeep habits. Kevin, did you encounter something similar? Is it something that will be explained in the schematics?

3. The second amp/speaker unit (model SA-2001?) has it's own source selection switch - AUX 1, AUX 2, and MAIN. It looks like you could connect a couple of different mono sources to it and use it independent of the main unit if you needed to (makes sense, it has it's own power cord too). It also has a strange XLR/pin-type connector that says "for use with Philco RSB-10" under it. Could this have allowed a hookup to a TV or something else in the Philco family of products?

I'd love to get this thing up and running again ... I wonder if I can use some modern hardware to send stereo signals to the independent amps in each cabinet, since each seems to have an input for a single channel ...

Anyway, um ... thanks for any input you may have. And though this place doesn't seem like the kind of place that flames n00bs, by all means, flame away if you feel that I didn't search hard enough. I can take it.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by exray - 05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
[No subject] - by exray - 05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
[No subject] - by exray - 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-18-2008, 09:32 PM
[No subject] - by exray - 05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-21-2008, 09:30 PM
[No subject] - by radiorich - 05-22-2008, 12:37 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM