Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-610B Veneer - Opinions please.

This is my first antique radio restoration and the first time working with veneer of any kind, never mind old veneer. I have watched a lot of videos on patching, and read a lot about putting on new veneer - in addition to reading the many posts on this forum.

I am posting a few photos of the cabinet. I am hoping to get some opinions to help guide my own. I think I know what I have to do, but I know so little there could be factors I am overlooking.

I assume this is the walnut I am looking at? Is that correct? (I believe this cabinet only came in walnut or maple.)

Photofinish -- This actually looks fairly decent. It has many surface scratches and some cracking, but it's an almost 80-year-old radio. I have more scratches and cracking and I'm only 45.

Left Side (when looking at the front) -- It is badly water damaged. The staining is discolored on 45 percent of it. About 85 percent is still glued down -- the rest has come unglued and cupped. Pieces are missing from the edges, especially at the bottom. There are several deep gouges. I think I am looking at replacing all of the veneer on this side, sad to say.

Right Side -- If I am to save this side, it is going to take tremendous work. There are some deep gouges to deal with, sections that are missing, and the bottom has come unglued and bubbled. I think with some craft and creativity, I can salvage this side. A major patching and reconditioning job.

Top -- Of all the veneer I think this is probably in the best shape. It needs to be cleaned up, refinished, and patched, but I think it's salvageable.

My thinking is to save as much of the original veneer as possible. Is that wrong-headed? Is this just too much damage? Should I replace both sides and the top just for uniformity? I would love to hear all your opinions. Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread