Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it?

Latest update:

I'm working on the chassis, but got the cabinet glued, and buffed it out with some Novus #2. Most of the Bakelite looks good, and has a bit of shine to it, but if you look at the sides you can clearly see where the cracks are, and in fact, there's another crack on the right side. I'm debating whether to leave it as is, or prime it to fill the cracks and paint it ivory or brown.

One thing that occurs to me is when you put the back on these radios, the spring clips put a lot of outward pressure on the case. I wonder if that's why so many of them seem to have a split along one corner or another, or both. I wonder if my first one has a good case because the back was missing a long time ago.

This thought came to me as I was dozing off one night, and I jumped out of bed and took the back out of my good Hippo, because I couldn't sleep thinking about those springs pushing against my Bakelite! (There's a lot of tension there from the spring clips.)

Anyway, until the next time.

Dan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it? - by ntsc525 - 04-20-2015, 01:31 AM