Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-650 Vernier Fine Tuning Mechanism

Greetings!  I'm in the midst of restoring a very dusty but beautiful 37-650b (tombstone).  Only two bakelite caps left to go.  So far, working like a champ!  The issue I'm facing is with the fine tuning innards.  I'm not sure whether I just can't figure it out, or if there's a missing or broken part.  I've seen two different diagrams of how they're supposed to work, but neither appear to be a match for the parts I've extracted from the unit.  I've attached a photo of the parts laid out in the order I believe they fit.  There are six ball bearings.  One small, two medium, and three large.  I think the two medium-sized ones are supposed to be on each end of the spring, which fits into the coarse tuning shaft.  The three large bearings fit in the three holes of the coarse tuning shaft.  It's what's left that puzzles me.  If the small ball-bearing were somehow fused to the tip of the fine tuning shaft, I could see this working.  As it stands, the fine tuning shaft just spins, does nothing, and can be simply pulled out of the coarse tuning shaft.  Given the way it's shaped, it's really no surprise - there isn't anything to keep it in place.  Maybe it's simple, but clearly not simple enough for me.  I'm hoping to tap into the wisdom that I've seen answer so many other questions on this board (which have been invaluable in getting me to this point).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, I'm desperate and looking to pick up another 37-650 chassis just to dissect it!

Stephen

Messages In This Thread
37-650 Vernier Fine Tuning Mechanism - by StephenB - 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM