Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

Well I made a mistake before I ever completed the RC Couple.

There was no noise coming from the test speaker because I used enameled copper wire to connect it to the speaker post and didn't realize it was acting as an insulator instead of a conductor. The copper wire I used off the test speaker to the two speaker post is enameled dipped, no conductivity on the outside coating. What I fool I am to have just realized this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a result because of my mistake, could the 1st AF trans still be good? with that meg ohm reading?? Perhaps I will take away the RC-Couple and try the AF trans again.

I completed the RC Couple on the 1st A.F. Transformer. I double checked my work, everything is on properly. There is sound out of the test speaker. But it is just a cycle hum. No static, stations, or any other noise no matter how I manipulate the controls. I tested the R.F. Coils, all within just a few ohms, good. All the rest of the chokes test good. Could the set be way off on alignment to where it will not pick up any stations?

Jon

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 10-12-2015, 12:25 AM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM