Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42 380 Hums well but does not know the words

Ron and All Concerned,

I greatly appreciate all your input, including any and all criticisms for they are well intended and towards a good reason. I checked the unit before plugging it in and it appeared to be OK. My first indication that there was a problem was the hum. I now know that humming radios mean potentially serious problems which needs to be dealt with immediately. My first order of business is to order a cap kit and replace most if not all the caps including the electrolytic. Indeed this is a great hobby and you meet alot of interesting and very intelligent people who have spent a lifetime restoring these wonders of yesteryear. You also meet some great people like you Ron, who help people out of jams such as a speaker on a previous restoration, again thank you. In the future I will not allow the radio to hum rather fix it until it does know the words and sounds them out clearly. Further, I will check under the chassis for other problems and chase my wife again in a couple of days. God bless you one and all, your always there when needed. Icon_rolleyes

Dave B.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by mandh - 08-15-2008, 10:12 PM
[No subject] - by David B - 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
[No subject] - by David B - 08-16-2008, 06:30 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 08-16-2008, 07:38 AM
[No subject] - by David B - 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM