Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing...

So I have been in the process of fixing up a really nice original Philco 80.  The original speaker cloth was intact but starting to deteriorate.  So I purchased a new reproduction piece of the small Richmond small herringbone.  The material looked wonderful so I installed it today and am having a severe issue of the material buzzing or vibrating against the wood of the cabinet.  Even at very low volumes you can see the material bounce with the sound coming from the speaker!  At louder volumes it just sounds horrible....Buuzzzzing and rattling.  And it NEVER did this before I replaced the material, the speaker sounded great.

I took a closer look at my now removed original and the reproduction stuff.  The original was quite thin and you could easily blow through it thus great for sound waves traveling through it.  I tried the same thing with a left over piece of the repop stuff and WOW...I could barely blow any air through it at all, it was like blowing into a bag!  Air does NOT travel through it at all!  EEEkkkk  not good.  Apparently the new material does not have very good acoustical transferring properties and acts like putting a sheet of paper over your loud speaker.

So now I have removed my original material and almost destroyed in and have a restored radio I can't listen to because it sounds so horrible with this new speaker cloth on it.

Any suggestions or other folks on here have had this issue?

I might take a video of the unit playing with this material....you can actually see the speaker cloth bouncing back and fourth with the sound as plain as day even at mid level volumes!  It is ridiculous.

Bummed out....

Messages In This Thread
Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing... - by bastardbus - 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM