Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing...

As mentioned before the manufacturer's instructions are very explicit to ONLY apply 3M 77 glue to the very outer edge of the baffle board. Let it tack, then apply one side of the material. pull taught and apply the other edges.

I don't see gluing the entire area down making a difference. If you take a look at the Philco 80 there is a lot bracing and wood details that cover the speaker area that would not be glued down and seem to be the areas of concern. No way to attach the material over the speaker to anything. Should I try anyhow...YES....if I could. There is no way to lift the material off the baffle now that it is glues down. If you have ever used the 3M product mentioned it does not let go easily and would surely destroy the material. Once that happens what difference does it make anymore as I won't be buying another piece of this stuff...LOL So for now, until I find something else suitable to replace it I am leaving as-is and will keep in on the back burner if I find something better to replace it with.

I do think the solution is a different speaker cloth that is better designed for this purpose. I have dozens of large `50s era hi-fis and they all have very similar stiff and very porous materials with large open weave patterns over the speakers. These players are extremely loud and powerful and I have never had an issue with one of those units similar to this. In fact I never had an issue with THIS radio until the original grill cloth was replaced.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing... - by bastardbus - 10-04-2015, 01:00 AM