Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing...

(10-05-2015, 11:11 PM)bastardbus Wrote:  The sad thing is I think I am going to yank this repop stuff and try and re attach the original cloth back in place.  It was quite faded and smoke stained and now torn in a couple spots from removing it but the radio sounded GREAT with it in place.  It might not look as pretty as the new cloth but I find myself no longer listening to the thing now.  I was listening to it every night before.

T

Instead of reusing the old fabric have you considered buying new, acoustically transparent cloth? Speakerworks (as well as your Acoustical Solutions link) sell transparent cloths. The fabric style and color options may be more limited (beige and brown for your radio) but at least you'd have new fabric to go along with a restored cabinet.

I've taken a chance on reproduction material for my 45L and opted for this pattern from Speaker Fabric Supply on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/174033848/a...e_active_3

It's a heavier piece of fabric than the original; probably a lot like the one you purchased. The diamonds with the brown flecks within the diamonds are more porous (obvious when held up to the light). Unfortunately I can't provide feedback on its acoustic properties because my electronics restoration is not yet complete. I'm not anticipating problems similar to yours because the cabinet design is much different.

PS Have you considered checking out material at a Jo-Ann Fabrics type store? They will have an ample variety of fabrics on hand and you'll be able to easily identify lighter/less restrictive options.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing... - by stangbuff - 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM