Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

45 Lowboy Grille Cloth Question

Hello all,

I’m a newbie to the site; I came across it while researching a Philco radio I own. I have a 45 Lowboy that has been in the family since new. It’s been stored away in a basement for 15+ years but protected and the basement is dehumidified. I’ve decided it’s time to bring the radio back to life and have been researching what that would entail hence my arrival here.

My plan it to restore the electronics to full functionality but to leave the cabinet in close to it’s current condition (which is actually pretty good all things considered). I like the idea of it having a patina reflecting decades of use and enjoyment by the family. It’ll receive a thorough cleaning but not a refinishing; at least not now.

One of the issues I’m having is replacing the grille cloth which is a little frayed. I believe I read here that the cloth was only produced for a limited period of time. Again, while I’m not restoring it to perfection I would like it to be as close as possible to the original. I’ve used the resource links on the site but haven’t found an exact reproduction. Is anyone here aware of one that they can point me in the direction of? Failing that Kenneth at Richmond Design made a couple of recommendation: Soldier Gold and Gold Diamond. Are these considered acceptable substitutes by Philco aficionados?

Thanks in advance for any insight and feedback provided.

Regards,

Mike

Messages In This Thread
45 Lowboy Grille Cloth Question - by stangbuff - 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM