Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380X Reception problems

Dave,

First, I think I misinformed you that compensators 4 through 4E don't effect sensitivity. 4A and 4B definitely do, as they help tune the resonant frequency of the antenna you are using. (I edited my post above.) I would advise to adjust those compensators with the radio connected to the built-in loop, and follow the alignment instructions in whatever service information you have. If you have the Rider pages from Nostalgia Air, use the table and the notes just under the parts list.

Once you correctly adjust the IF compensators 29 through 34, you shouldn't need to touch them again unless you change out a component that changes their resonant frequency.

Steps 5 and 6 of the table in the Rider's alignment instructions show how to use the signal generator for the short wave bands. The alignment chapter in Elements shows how to make a loop of wire to use instead of connecting the signal generator to the antenna lead as you do when adjusting the IF cans. Other than that the only change in the operation of the signal generator is to change the frequency. Once you get a feel for the signal generator, go through these steps in order. If after following these steps sensitivity is an issue, more in-depth troubleshooting is needed.

I can't stress enough how helpful the Philco service packages are that you can get from Chuck Schwark. They are clear and easy to read, and usually more complete than the free ones on Nostalgia Air.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Philco 42-380X Reception problems - by David B - 09-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Re: Philco 42-380X Reception problems - by Raleigh - 09-27-2008, 04:09 PM