Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 89/19 Restoration - Tickler Coil

I just finished another restoration on a Model 89 cathedral with the 36 autodyne. I know I have probably beat the oscillator tickler coil thing to death. But this time I got it to work first time. Maybe this posting will help someone in the future.

27 turns starting from pin 1 ending on pin 2, turning clockwise looking from the bottom of the coil form, using #38 wire. Pin 1 is the first one to the right of the mounting clip looking from the bottom. Worked perfectly and oscillates across the entire band.

In the past, I tried #34 and #36. I know people will say that the wire size is not critical for a ticker coil, but only, only after I went to #38 wire did I get it to work. With this number of turns, and the very thin #38 wire, the resistance measured about 5 ohms, which is very close to what it says on the schematic. I took this as a good sign.

When I brought it up, it squealed like the dickens. But the tube shields were missing. I found a tube shield for the the 75 tube, and that fixed that.

Mark K8KZ

Messages In This Thread