Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Cabinet graphics lettering cleaning

Hey all, new here but not to antique radio.

I won an 80-140 console a few months back, local pickup (these are unusual in So Cal), swapped out the rusted chassis for a better one which I restored, and it's  complete with new repro push buttons from Renovated Radios.

I made station call tabs from the sheet offered here, having to cut individual letters and piece them together for several local stations that weren't around back then. I applied oil on the backs of each, then wiped them dry. It makes the paper more translucent.

The only thing left is to try and renovate the lettering above the knobs (Off-On-Bass, Volume, etc.) which have a black coating over the lettering. The "Pol" for Police Band above that knob is almost legible in gold, but the rest are black.

I know I can get decals from Radio Daze, but if there's something I can use to uncover the gold lettering, without destroying it or harming the wood finish, that would be preferable.

Suggestions welcome.

The first photo displays when I got it; notice the similarity under the belt-line with the Zenith 8S-463 in the background.   Philco was first with the styling.

The other rusted chassis that originally came with the cabinet, I got working, and am offering it on the auction site as a BIN, OBO, with resistors in place of the field coil, and a PM speaker.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Cabinet graphics lettering cleaning - by fifties - 03-27-2016, 01:32 PM