Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38a in stunning matt mustard
Wink 

I just bought this for about the cheapest I've ever seen a cathedral sell for down here in Kiwiland... so I'm pretty stoked.  Just asked them to pull the speaker and post that separately... hopefully they're ok to do that.  It will be in the loving care of NZ Post for a few days... and they are every bit as careful as what I believe the USPS to be...

So what do people normally do with these?  Display only?  That probably won't cut the... erm... mustard... Icon_lol  for me.  I'd like to restore it the same way I have done my 89B I posted on here a while back.  Are the holes on the front panel the same as the 19 or 89 does anyone know?  Potentially I will put the restored 89B chassis in this cabinet until I work out what I'm doing with the 89's original (badly damaged) cabinet.

How should I power it?  2V for the filaments doesn't seem like the easiest voltage to come by... how critical is it?  I could easily build a power supply to provide the lower voltages but 67.5 and 135V could be slightly trickier.  Can you series-string 2 or 3 tubes to get to a more manageable voltage?  Just throwing ideas around at this point...

Whats cool is it has a history... the current owner remembers listening to it at their grandparents farm in the 40's... I've asked them for more of that story... radios with stories are 346% more awesomer  Icon_biggrin

Anyway, I was quite pleased with the purchase... just wanted to share it.  I know you're all wishing at least one radio in your collection was mustard coloured too  Icon_lol 

Cheers

Steve

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

Messages In This Thread
Philco 38a in stunning matt mustard - by kiwi_steve - 04-17-2016, 04:18 AM