Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38a in stunning matt mustard

Steve

The very first complete radio I ever owned, an RCA Victor 5T1 tombstone I had about 100 years ago (okay, 42 years ago) was painted a similar color. To this day I am still impressed at how sensitive that radio was once I restored it...I put up a 100 foot longwire that was only maybe six to seven feet high, and with it I could listen to WLS in Chicago in the daytime from my house in western Kentucky, a distance of over 300 miles. Back in the 1970s, rock music was still being played on AM (MW) radio and WLS was one of the biggest radio stations in the country. But I digress...

That is a neat find in spite of the paint job! The original grille cloth looks good; take care of it, that pattern has never been reproduced.

You can build a power supply for it to furnish the proper voltages. I built quite a few several years ago. Since your country probably uses 220-240 volt AC mains it may make this a bit more difficult, but it can still be done with a suitable transformer, a handful of Zener diodes, a few resistors and capacitors, and a voltage regulator for the filament voltage.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 38a in stunning matt mustard - by Ron Ramirez - 04-17-2016, 06:53 AM