Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I REALLY have to stay off auction sites for a while...

Well, it goes (see the thread in the electrical restoration section) - and the correct-ish grill cloth Ron pointed out is in stock but only in a big piece... which I don't really need - but short of putting the wrong stuff in there and being shunned by Philco people everywhere ( Icon_lol  ) I don't see an option... I'm sure I can find a use for the rest in other radios where the original cloth is either not available or where it doesn't matter so much.

I'm thinking I might leave the cabinet completely alone... I wonder what briwax over lacquer would do... I wonder if this is the right radio to find out? I really just want to clean it up a little (its beyond gojo on the shoulders but the front panel is in pretty good original shape) and try to hide the missing lacquer a bit without having to fully refinish the cabinet.  I might try the briwax in a corner somewhere just to see.  Or maybe a coat of shellac would do... another corner, another trial  Icon_question

The shadowmeter isn't operating correctly... that still needs pulling apart yet... I'll do that tomorrow I think.

But it goes!  I've got a couple of new valves coming for it... and I now officially have no 42's left without robbing them from other sets... my valve guy has none left either... 

Did I mention... it goes! Icon_smile

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives