Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Proper polarity for filter caps in 1936 models

Gents, just a note. Some may know this, others may not. Ed(etech) pointed out something very important. I'll use my 116B as an example since I screwed up on this model. Cap #101 which filters the negative grid voltage of the P-P 42s and center tap of the transformer, should be positive to ground(meaning the floating ground). The schematics on-line do not indicate this. But Chucks schematics do(sorry I missed that fact) Icon_confused . I had mine connected backwards with negative to ground. Since there is only around 25v on this cap, my replacement cap didn't pop since it's rated at 500v. But, I noticed a low level hum with no antenna connected. I figured I would address this later on since it wasn't noticed with any level of signal.

Just thought I'd point this out since several of you hollow state fanatics(me included), are restoring these sets. The same cap is used on other models such as the 650(cap #77).

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Messages In This Thread