Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-5 veneer issues, what is this wood?

May I make a suggestion?

There is a way to repair all of the peeling veneer.

It will require you to refinish your cabinet afterward, but you were going to do that anyway, right?

...right?

It involves the use of Titebond II wood glue, and an old iron.

Yes, an old iron. The kind you iron fabrics with.

Don't use your wife's (or your) good iron for this! Find a cheap old iron at a yard sale and dedicate it to the purpose.

This will involve some skill and being very careful...and there is a chance that you may end up with the veneer not 100% lined up...but it's definitely worth a try.

Take the Titebond II and apply to the underside of a piece of loose veneer. Apply a little more to the surface of the cabinet where the veneer had peeled away.

Now, while holding the veneer in place where it is supposed to go with one hand, take the old iron (which you pre-heated, right?) and start ironing the veneer. Keep doing this until the veneer stays in place by itself. It will only take a minute or two.

Don't just hold the hot iron in one spot; move it around as you would on a piece of fabric you were ironing to keep from scorching the veneer. Believe it or not, you won't scorch the veneer if you do as I describe.

Once you finish one spot, proceed to another until you have all of the areas repaired.

I learned this trick from John "Hagstar" Hagman. He no longer recommends this, but it has worked for me several times with no long-term ill effects (so far, knocking wood, no pun intended) so I see no reason not to do it.

Just keep in mind that once you use that old iron on veneer, you will no longer be able to use it on good fabrics as the old lacquer will burn off the veneer and deposit itself on the hot surface of the iron, rendering it unfit to use on clothing, grille cloth, etc.

Try it on a small area and see what you think. You have nothing to lose...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 38-5 with veneer issues - by TerryMSU - 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM
RE: Philco 38-5 with veneer issues - by TerryMSU - 10-13-2016, 05:11 PM
RE: Philco 38-5 veneer issues, disassemble cabinet? - by Ron Ramirez - 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM