Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610 Volume Control Taper

(10-17-2016, 02:39 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Guess #2 is that an audio tapper volume control makes the set sound like it can play really loud as most of the gain is in the beginning of the rotation. Personally I think it's marketing trick to give a buyer the impression that a given set has a lot of volume when it doesn't.

Terry,

I think you are right.

At this point, I believe the more modern volume control that I used as a replacement has a bit more advanced slope than the older control I replaced.  I wired in the old control again to evaluate the difference.  I believe that they are both audio taper.

The older control advances the volume pretty quickly,  just not as quickly as the newer control.  So I am chalking it up to a difference between the controls in the first 50% of the audio taper curve.

The only reason I replaced the vintage control (It is not an original Philco part) was because the shaft was goofy.  It had flatness on both sides, and I couldn't get the Philco knob to grip.  I figured out a way to make the knob work, so I put the vintage control back in.  It works better.

Mark K8KZ

Messages In This Thread
Philco 610 Volume Control Taper - by markmokris - 10-16-2016, 06:56 PM
RE: Philco 610 Volume Control Taper - by morzh - 10-16-2016, 07:40 PM
RE: Philco 610 Volume Control Taper - by morzh - 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: Philco 610 Volume Control Taper - by markmokris - 10-18-2016, 07:41 AM