Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help on a GE Musiphonic

Thanks to all. This set was a challenge. The wax capacitors melted everywhere and combined with smoke and grease to form resistors between the traces on the circuit board. And this gunk was cooked into the tube sockets, especially the 35W4 and 35C5. I went over the board and touched up all the traces and connections. I attacked the circuit board and chassis with paint thinner and a tooth brush and blotted with paper towels until all the gunk was gone, then blasted Deoxit on everything. The push pull on-off switch was intermittant, and needed to be disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled. The (main) spot-welded wire to the chassis was loose. I had to resort to cardboard soaked in deoxit to clean in between the blades of the variable capacitor, and disassemble all the trimmers to clean the micas. I blasted the if cans three times before the fluid coming out was the same color as going in. It took a while to align after all this.

Surprisingly the kitchen grease and smoke deposits helped preserve the plastic cabinet, original line cord, and even the plug. The few scratches came out with a good rub with brasso. I could have polished the chassis better, but this was turning out to be a crusade, not a project.

The only thing remaining to do is fix the knobs which have rough outer edges. I am patiently building the edges up with coats of clear nail polish. Then I'm done, and can get this off my bench, so I can finish up the 2 Philcos.

I'm learning a lot of new things by reading the Phorum threads, thanks to all for the help.

Messages In This Thread
Help on a GE Musiphonic - by codefox1 - 12-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by rghines1 - 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by codefox1 - 12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by codefox1 - 12-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by rghines1 - 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by codefox1 - 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by Jim Berg - 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by Texasrocker - 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Re: Help on a GE Musiphonic - by Arran - 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM