Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 71....I went and did it !!

I have a Philco 71 cathedral that was donated to me years ago that had been sitting in the garage for a few years along with many others radios needing restoration. This Philco had a large gouge in that pretty left-hand front walnut surround that which has the angled grain. I had recently received an Airline tombstone with a slice of veneer missing off the back edge, so thought I'd do the "veneer patch" to repair. While I had the pieces of donor walnut off a period Zenith console cabinet and the glue, I thought I'd also tackle the gouge in the Philco. 

The gouge was deep, so deep that I had cut it out level to inlay glue a small piece of underlay before gluing the veneer patch on top. This all went smoothly. It's when I started sanding that I got overly aggressive and went right through the veneer all along the edge of the surround about a 1/4"  or more from the outside edge such that you can now see the piece of underlay. I did not realize that this front surround was thin as a sheet of copy paper!!! Yes, to my undying shame I went and did it!!!! Icon_redface  See pics below...

I tired searching the Phorum for older threads regarding this subject, but could not find anything. Can any of you give me your approaches to salvaging this project and correcting my mis-steps. By the way, the Airline tombstone patch turned out perfect as the veneer was thicker and more forgiving.

Britt

Messages In This Thread
Philco 71....I went and did it !! - by wbaradio - 11-08-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: Philco 71....I went and did it !! - by KCMike - 11-09-2016, 06:58 PM
RE: Philco 71....I went and did it !! - by Arran - 11-14-2016, 05:30 AM