Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yet another stubborn model 60

I've restored two other model 60's without a problem (on both all coils were good). This one, a run #7, is proving to be a real challenge. Very reminiscent of my model 89 about 3 years ago.

Here's the schematic:

http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/60g.jpg

Both the outer primaries of the OSC and ANT coils were open. Nothing surprising there, as from what I've heard this is fairly common on 60's. I rewound both with 38 ga wire, taking careful notes as to what went where and especially the direction of the winding. 18 turns on the OSC, 4 turns on the ANT. When completed, all ohm values were as they should be on the schematic Icon_thumbup  Reinstalled each, double checking the resistances and again, all was well.

However, the set tries to receive stations but everything is hopelessly garbled...up to around 1200 on the dial. There is drops off to silence.

The set has been recapped, save for the two bakelite blocks with the .00011 mfd. caps in. I'm waiting for some 100 pf to replace those with. All the out of tolerance resistors were replaced as well.

I'm going to double check the voltages tomorrow night but before heading back upstairs from the basement workshop, I did a quick but crude test by touching the grid caps of the 75, 78, and 6A7 tubes with the soldering iron. They should produce a loud buzz doing this, similar to touching the center tap of the volume control. I'm only getting that buzz on the #75 tube. The 78 just causes silence when I touch the grid and the 6A7 makes a slight buzz. The antenna jack is working, though, as the garbled noise does get louder when I touch it (I have about a 4' piece of wire attached to it already).

Not sure what is causing the drop off at 1200 on the dial and garbled sound. I know the coils were wound in the correct direction and to the correct lugs. Anyone else experience this and can tell me what they did to correct it?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
Yet another stubborn model 60 - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 12-06-2016, 10:24 PM
RE: Yet another stubborn model 60 - by morzh - 12-09-2016, 03:53 PM