Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yet another stubborn model 60

Finally got back to the radio this afternoon. The good news is, I got rid of the garbled sound. Turns out it was the #33 bakelite block. Once I got a new .015 cap in there (and the 100 pF I was waiting for), it started playing loud and clear. But, it still cuts out at 1200 on the dial. I get a ton of stations before that....even Chicago and Nashville, but it's a dead cut out at 1210. Dead silence. Now to prove that it's not a fin of the tuning capacitor touching another fin and shorting out, I was able to move the stations up the dial and get stations and static throughout the dial by adjusting the OSC trimmer on the back of the chassis. Of course at the low end I had 670, so the high end wound up around 1000. So I ruled out the tuner itself.

I know Terry suggested taking out the OSC coil and adding a few more turns to the 18 I have on the primary I rewound. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had success doing this or if there's something else I should be looking at first? Just trying to eliminate all other variables before I go to the trouble of rewinding again. All caps....including 'lytics & micas and all resistors have been replaced in the set.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yet another stubborn model 60 - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 12-08-2016, 06:19 PM
RE: Yet another stubborn model 60 - by morzh - 12-09-2016, 03:53 PM