Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yet another stubborn model 60

Well, I wasn't having good luck splicing that fine wire, so I started over and rewound the primary of the OSC coil. This time I went 22 turns instead of 18. It then measured 4.0 ohms instead of the 3.4 shown on the schematic.

I carefully gator wired it together out of the chassis just to see how it would react before soldering it back in place. I was getting the high end of the broadcast band....the strong local station at 1470...in two places on the low end of the dial (600 and 650). This was followed by the rest of the low end of the dial. All the familiar local stations. Now mind you the OSC coil was laying on its side on a piece of cardboard, so there was no "can" around it. I figured a proper alignment would move the dial back into positon so I soldered it back in. In doing so, the local stations from the low end of the dial to 1200 appeared back as they should, and the strong local disappeared from the low end...and altogether. In spite of an alignment I'm still not getting anything over 1300 on the high end but at least now it doesn't cut out to dead silence. I at least get static and am now getting static on the PB too. I get a TON of stations up to the 1300 point though, so I decided to button it up for now. I did the best I could. I don't believe more turns on the OSC primary beyond the 4 extra I did is the answer. It may even be caused by some sort of defect in the secondary section (although it does measure the correct value per the schematic). After twice winding with the OSC coil and once with the ANT coil, I need to unwind myself and move on to a different project! Icon_lol 

Incidentally, this set was hit by lightning as there was a dark black spot on the ANT coil right under the primary winding. It also was badly corroded with what looked like sea salt on the aluminum IF cans. Not to mention a badly peeling cabinet requiring major veneer replacement. It had a rough life but it least it's singing again. I'm happy about that Icon_thumbup

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yet another stubborn model 60 - by morzh - 12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: Yet another stubborn model 60 - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 12-10-2016, 12:45 AM