Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New here. Thoughts on this 38-116 please.

Hi,

I'm brand new to the phorum. I just bought a 38-116 from last night from eBay (here's the listing) and am having it picked up for me tomorrow at its location in Southern California by an employee of mine and a helper (I'm out of town for a few weeks). I have a couple of quick questions:

1. They're bringing a Suburban to pick this thing up. Thoughts on whether it should be laying down on its back or on its front? They'll have some comforters to lay it on.

2. This unit is in Southern California, and I live in Colorado. I'm wary of shipping it via Greyhound. I'm considering renting another SUV, laying it down in the back, and driving it from to my home in Colorado. Overkill?

3. The unit appears to have been restored from what I can tell. (The eBay seller and I haven't discussed anything other than when I can come get it.) From what I can see, the grill cloth is not original; some of the tubes are unoriginal (which I understand doesn't mean restored); and it looks like some of the caps in the back have been replaced. Thoughts?

4. Anyone know of any antique radio repair folks near the Denver area (I live in Castle Rock, which is south of Denver) that they'd recommend to give this radio a look over?

5. I'm looking to have an aux RCA added so I can stream from other sources. Any objections?

Thanks, please be gentle, I'm new.

Regards.

Messages In This Thread
New here. Thoughts on this 38-116 please. - by samsdad - 12-13-2016, 06:04 PM