Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Garbled output Stomberg Carlson 561

I purchased a Stromberg Carlson model 561 which is a six tube superheterodyne receiver designed for operation on either DC or AC currrent. It did power up and receive some stations but with a loud hum at all volume levels and after a few minutes of operation at higher volume levels output would become intermittant and garbled. I ordered schematic and engineering info as well as electrolytics and other capacitors. After recapping the hum was gone and the radio performed nicely until after a few minutes the output became garbled at any volume above around twenty five percent. This is my first attempt at working on a tube radio and don't know where to go from here. I understand that there may not be much you can tell me without engineering info in front of you, but I was hoping that this may be a common problem and you could suggest where to begin looking. Also there one other thing about this radio that I am not sure is normal. When first powered up the dail light turns very dim and then brightens as the radio warms up. Thanks Gary

Messages In This Thread
Garbled output Stomberg Carlson 561 - by garyh1 - 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM