Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Garbled output Stomberg Carlson 561

Sounds like you are OK. Od course, orange drops are OK to replace the tubular caps. The range of -20 to +50 percent is usually OK in values, if you cannot get an exact match. I always replicate the windings around the grounding caps (6 or 7 turns around the .15 or .25 capacitor to somehow null out possible problems with the I.F. There are two of 'em on shortwave sets. There were even "magic" capacitors in some sets in the late 40's which attached one lead of the capacitor to the center of the foil to do the same thing. I now think this is snake oil, as I can't tell the difference when I sub a new cap of about the same value for the old leaky greasy plug. Somebody is going to disagree with me, I'm sure, but I still wind a few turns of wire around a nice old (non leaking) oil capacitor from my stash to preserve the looks and perhaps intention of the design.

If you need a non standard value of capacitor, you can probably parallel two to make up the value in many cases. If you need an .03 capaciror, abd you have only .01 and 0.2, you can probably just put them together in parallel and be done with it. I would probably just go with the .02 alone and see what happens. Remember that old leaky moisturized capacitors drift up to 50% and keep on going for decades before causing serious problems. That's how fault tolerent tube circuits are.

I hope this is helpful.

Messages In This Thread
Garbled output Stomberg Carlson 561 - by garyh1 - 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Re: Garbled output Stomberg Carlson 561 - by codefox1 - 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM