Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-4 low volume

Hello! I have a question regarding my 38-4 restoration.  I have spent a good long time restoring this beautiful radio and am on the threshold of completion.  I have replaced all the caps and resistors, checked the tubes to the best of my ability.  I haven't yet had the speaker repaired, but the cone does have a large tear.  I would expect the speaker to still function as it should, although the sound quality will be poor and distorted.  After cleaning the whole chassis and plugging everything back up, I turn the set on and a couple of stations come in clearly.  But even with the volume control all the way up, the volume level is quite low.  Is there something that I am missing that may cause this?  I know that I need to work more on my antenna, but the stations that come in clearly should still have some volume to them, correct?  My tube checker hasn't been checked out for a number of years, but all of my tubes seem to be reading about the same.
Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

ALSO, on this 38-4 model, what does the middle 2-position control do? Obviously the left control is on/band selector, and the right control is volume, but I am not sure about the center knob. Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Philco 38-4 low volume - by conceptchris - 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM
RE: Philco 38-4 low volume - by klondike98 - 01-24-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: Philco 38-4 low volume - by Steve Davis - 01-24-2017, 03:04 PM
RE: Philco 38-4 low volume - by morzh - 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM