Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do I use an ultrasonic parts cleaner?

I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner for several years to clean up the tuning capacitors, tube shields, and other metal parts. I use Simple Green diluted with warm water. My Harbor Freight cleaner has a heating element which I use. I was able to get the large tuning cap from my Philco 95 into the cleaner with several shots to clean the entire tuner. I just leave it in as many cycles as required to get them clean. You do have to watch the heating element to prevent it from getting too hot, though.

I, just recently, started using it to clean up the Bakelite blocks. After removing most of the potting wax/tar with a screw driver, I place them in the cleaner with the same solution of Simple Green and water and run till clean. It will remove all the left over potting from the terminals and rivets for making a clean solder connection. Works great!

Using the cleaner to remove corrosion is new to me. I will have to give this a try.

While I have used the cleaner on some car parts, I have never used it on carburetors! Sounds interesting! I wonder how it would work on the cast iron Zenith carburetor on my Model A Ford? I may have to give that a try! At  Icon_biggrin

Chris H
N9WHH

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I use an ultrasonic parts cleaner? - by Chris h - 03-15-2017, 12:22 PM