Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries

At the risk of this thread running too far off topic, I powered my radio up this week, since I simply lost patience trying to get the proper caps before I light her up for the first time in what is undoubtedly decades.

The good news is that after taking it apart far enough to check the caps, it seemed reasonable to try it. The caps weren't open or shorted. I plugged it in and tried it.  After the tubes warmed up (2 to 5 sec. , forgot about that...) it played great!

560 KPQ comes in as clear as a bell, plus several others.  Oh yeah, I'm adding stuff to make this thread pop up in the Search function, so forgive me if it seems if I'm typing some gibberish in. (See below)

1957 Mustang, E 676 124, E 675, (PLEASE add anything else you think might help a searcher find this!). I've found that a few other model numbers have shared this chassis.

I still plan to get the pictures posted. Got to get some help from my daughter, as she owns the digital camera that will be used to document all of this.

I found the 3 caps mentioned, plus the 3 caps in a single can that are listed as [250uf @ 10V, 60uf @ 150V, 80uf @ 150V].

In my radio, the three paper caps were:  0.22uF 100V, 0.047uF 200V, ad 0.047uF 400V.  The first 2 caps were axial lead caps, the last one was a radial lead cap. I'll point them out in the future photos.

Not referring to Philco's in particular, but I've noticed that a few manufacturer's schematics seem to be more of a guideline than a solid representation of the components used to build the radio in question. I'm still pretty new to this hobby, so please forgive me if I babble on about common knowledge.  As stated, I'm trying to make this thread come up in a Search for others who may have one of the aforementioned radios / chassis.

About "A" and "B" batteries; THANK YOU Radioroslyn an David!

It's a lot easier to convince the wife I should spend money on a Working radio than a Dead one...

5 pairs of AA batteries should just fit in the area meant for the 7.5 Volt "A" battery, they may be 1/8" over the original battery.  More to follow.

The "B" battery space will easily accommodate a stack of ten 9V batteries;  I just need to come up with the proper connector to fit that wider spaced 90V battery connector in my Philco.  Maybe I'll buy dead batteries off of eBay, or possibly gut and re-purpose some dead 9V battery parts.

Whatever I do, I'll document it for those that run across this thread and hopefully we can pass on some useful information. Incidentally, when Searching for "Philco E 676 124" on Bing, this thread popped up on the first page; just sayin'...

In the meantime, I'll be out in my shop, working on my truck and listening to the radio...  Icon_biggrin

Messages In This Thread
Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries - by Dan_in_WA - 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM
RE: Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries - by Arran - 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM
RE: Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries - by Arran - 03-12-2017, 11:40 PM
RE: Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries - by David - 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Food for thought on your caps - by K7Sparky - 03-23-2017, 06:57 AM
RE: Voltages of "A" and "B" batteries - by Dan_in_WA - 04-01-2017, 01:37 AM