Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie Model 71 questions

For my first restoration attempt, I have a Model 71-121 but I’m not a radio guy. It looks like this has been partially recapped in the past (anyone recognize those colorful speaker wires?) with components wired point-to-point and sometimes to the Bakelite blocks, which were not unstuffed but several caps are just handing with unattached connections. Pics, schematic and parts list are all here http://chronology.weebly.com/philco-71.html

My plan is to empty all the Bakelite boxes (done) and replace the necessary caps onto lugs, and add insulation and a line fuse. Then move on to tubes before powering up for the first time with dim bulb tester.

My questions are these: 

Are there any critical wire lengths that I shouldn’t alter as I clean up and rewire?

Part  (21) Filter Condenser Bank ( 2x0.05u, 1x0.25u)  04731 appears to be missing. Three caps numbered (21) appear on the schematic but I don’t know which of them is the 0.25u.

Part (7) 0.5u Number 3583 not present on the chassis. 

Part (38) 3903AA  and line filter caps (49) are also missing also missing but I can work around those.

The tone control (39) appears to have an integrated cap but the schematic shows no value. Any suggestions? 

Anything else you spot? Any other warnings, hints, suggestions? Thanks very much.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Model 71 questions - by gmg - 03-13-2017, 06:43 AM
RE: Newbie Model 71 questions - by TV MAN - 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
RE: Newbie Model 71 questions - by Radioroslyn - 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM