Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble

Hi,

I finally decided to tackle the 38-60 that I've had for a few years.  To say the least, it is in rough shape.  The speaker cone is pretty much gone, the dial scale is cracked and the top side veneer is completely missing.  Those are some of the obvious problems, but yesterday I found another one.  Probably not surprising to anyone, but the BC antenna transformer's primary winding is open.

I previously rewound a model 19 oscillator tickler coil.  It was relatively straightforward to remove that coil form and then replace the open coil.  In this case, I'm not sure how to remove the coil form from the chassis.  It is held in place, but I can't figure out how.  Does anyone know the correct way to remove this?  I don't want to damage the form.

If I can get the coil out, I'm sure I can count the turns, but does anyone know what gauge of wire to use for this?  I have a couple of sizes of magnet wire on hand (#32 and #36).  Would it be critical to use the correct wire gauge, or can I just use the closest size that I have?

Thanks
Jon

Messages In This Thread
38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by PAradiogeek - 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: 38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by morzh - 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM
RE: 38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by morzh - 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM