Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

What 16B Chassis Do I Have Here?

I purchased a Philco 16B cathedral radio a couple of weeks ago at an antique store.  They were having a sale so I couldn't pass it up.  Just needs a speaker which I believe has been located.  The chassis was sitting loose in the cabinet and had 2 push-on knobs (inner & outer) on the tuning shaft. There was a plastic bag laying on top of the chassis with more knobs enclosed.  Chassis has 5 bands, a Type 80 rectifier tube, and inter-station noise suppression switch which mounts on side of cabinet.  I thought this was a Type 121 chassis but now I'm having second thoughts. The ID sticker on the rear is missing most of the necessary information as half is torn off.  What puzzles me is the tuning shaft which is designed to utilize 2 knobs for operation of the 2 different methods of tuning (slow & fast).  My research indicates that a 121 chassis would use a single knob w/set screw for tuning.  Tuning method could be changed by pulling out the knob.  I have attached pictures of the tuning shaft(s) on my chassis along with pics of the front of the cabinet and the knobs that came in the plastic bag.  To utilize the tuning method found on my chassis it appears that I would have to enlarge the tuning shaft hole in the cabinet to accommodate the rear tuning knob. Maybe this chassis was not original to this cabinet.  Just what chassis do I have here?

Craig R

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
What 16B Chassis Do I Have Here? - by VntgRads - 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM
RE: What 16B Chassis Do I Have Here? - by AI2V - 05-14-2017, 11:01 AM