Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-Stuffing Canned Electrolytics - Part 64000

Continued!

After drilling holes around the circumference it was still stuck so I started using a larger bit and worked my way out from the center to the edges.  Eventually I got it to where I could pull out fairly decent sized chunks using some needle nose pliers and finally had it cleaned out to within about 3/4" of the bottom (or top if you will)

At this point it seemed like I was getting into some of the black tar-like substance similar to what was in the smaller cap.  So I resorted to heat.  Using a heat gun I warmed it up until it was obvious that the black substance was softening than started digging with a small screwdriver.  Finally the remains popped out

Now both cans had that black substance in the bottom so I filled them with lacquer thinner and let them sit a few minutes.  Using a screwdriver I swabbed a paper towel around inside them and after two or three repetitions they were both clean.

This is as far as I've gotten.  As soon as I find a Dremel attachment with a fairly sharp point I'll cut the get them re-stuffed!

Rich

Messages In This Thread
RE: Re-Stuffing Canned Electrolytics - Part 64000 - by criageek - 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM