Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-Stuffing Canned Electrolytics - Part 64000

Yesterday I finished restuffing the electrolytics.  Here's the Dremel bit I found to dig the 'trench' in the base for the top to fit into.

And here is a picture of base for the dual cap after digging the trench.  I also had to shave off some of the aluminum lip where the cut was made in order for the top to fit into place.

Then I drilled holes in the base for the leads and pushed the positive leads through.  I make my own circuit boards for small projects so I have a selection of small drill bits and selected one that gives a nice snug fit.

After I spliced the negative leads into one lead and pushed it though the base, I soldered it to one of the tabs on the base of the can.

Then it dawned on me that I'll need to remove the ground lead until I've inserted the can into the chassis.  I then applied a few dabs of epoxy in the trench and glued the tops back onto the bases for each of the two cans.  I used the epoxy I use when I glue golf clubs heads onto the shafts when I build golf clubs.  For some reason I didn't take any 'after' pictures, but I can tell you I didn't do as nice a job on the smaller, single can as I did on the larger one.  Around the base where to top and base are glued you can see several small gaps.  But for a first effort I'm happy with it.  Other than reinserting the cans into the chassis mounting slots this job is complete!

Rich

Messages In This Thread
RE: Re-Stuffing Canned Electrolytics - Part 64000 - by criageek - 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM