Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antennas

(04-06-2017, 10:03 PM)WallaceRoger Wrote:  I've been thinking about antennas for my Model 20 and other radio projects. I live in a high-rise apartment building, so running wires into an attic or to a roof aerial are out of the question.

However, the building I live in is a 1950s Mid Century deal of poured concrete with the outer wall entirely made up of floor to ceiling glass surrounded by steel framework/support. I'm thinking the whole building could be the antenna. Bonus is I have a direct, almost uninterrupted line to the towers that broadcast our stations just 5 miles away.

Could I run antenna leads to underneath the steel sill of my living room window and tap it in with sheet metal screws?

I live in downtown LA and own several Philco's that need an aerial to operate. I took a 25' length of cloth covered hookup wire and moved it around to get the best reception. I ended up running it under my sofa. I pick up stations all across the dial. I did need to do a good alignment to as well as found the ground was a necessity on the 20 and 21. I connected the ground to the AC outlet safety ground. My building is concrete (which means a lot of rebar) and uses all steel framing, under the sheet rock. My window frames are aluminum, which means they won't work as an aerial.

Messages In This Thread
Antennas - by WallaceRoger - 04-06-2017, 10:03 PM
RE: Antennas - by Mondial - 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM
RE: Antennas - by WallaceRoger - 04-07-2017, 10:53 AM
RE: Antennas - by Tubesforme - 04-07-2017, 01:31 PM