Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-170cs cabinet crack help needed

I have a couple ideas what to do but ideas and testing-result is a different story. I hate to test ideas on a neat radio like this so any experience please chime in.

-strap clamp idea. Basically a ratcheting tie down. Seen these used to hole pictures frames together to glue. Glue in the crack that perhaps a non stick barrier like wax paper and then strap it down. This should close the crack and bring the that bowed crack back into place.

-12" clamps...I have some HUGE 12" deep clamps I could use. a couple of these are compound and the curve has lost it's shape. I am wondering if on those I would need a backer like a wooden curved buck piece that I could clamp from behind and perhaps clamp a flexible piece of plastic or plywood across the front to bring that broken piece into position.

-the guitar tool fix....we use this type of clamp when butt welding panels into cars at the shop...very cool method but kina expensive...none the less check the stuff out...great for cabinet repair. https://youtu.be/Nbn6rcSzAP8 There is a great idea of using a heat gun and thing acrylic to create a curved cull or buck to hold the cracked piece in proper position...

My plan for this radio was fix the cracks, touch them up and refinish the thing. I was not overly concerned with some scars from the cracks being present...but....since that I am getting the vibe this is kinda a hard to find radio and one perhaps worth reentering those sections. Due to the design it could be done fairly easily but it is a bunch more work.

Is this THAT special of a radio or should I not worry about fixing the cracks and leaving them as is. Honestly, I have repaired similar before and was able to hide the repair pretty darn good.

Thanks
T

BTW who is Bob..my guess someone with expertise in fixing these type issues...?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by bastardbus - 05-02-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 05-02-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM